Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Photo of the Week - Johnston Canyon, Canada




Banff National Park contains some of the world's most stunning scenery. The Rockies are a wonderful backdrop for thunderous waterfalls, glacial lakes and superb wildlife. Johnston Canyon, just north of Banff, provides a scenic three kilometre (0.6 miles) walk through the chasm and past a series of waterfalls. The best two falls are the uninterestingly named Lower Falls (top photo) and Upper Falls (bottom photo). The unusual lower falls turns at right angles and contains fantastic colors around the narrow gorge.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, the colors really are fantastic. I think I need to spend some time exploring Canada. I've been to Victoria, which was nice, Niagara Falls, which was fun but touristy, and Winnepeg (for work), which I have to say was a pit. Banff needs to be added to my list.

Jasper said...

i should have gone here! i'll see to it to set aside more time for canada on my next visit!

Pokin said...

What beautiful pictures! I always get warm fuzzy feelings looking at pictures of Canada. I'm aways bragging about various locations to friends. I find the Rockies (& Banff) to be absolutely breathtaking. I'd never heard of Johnston Canyon before this. Thanks for the find!

Anonymous said...

@theresa: I have been to Winnipeg once as well!!

@all: The whole path between Canmore and Jasper through the Rockies contains some of the most consistently stunning scenery of glacial lakes, towering mountains, waterfalls and wildlife that I think I have ever seen. Theer seems to be great fiews around ever bend of the road. I don't think I'd ever tire of seeing such places.

Anonymous said...

The falls are really beautiful, I've visited twice already. If you have some energy and another hour to spare, hike up 3km (from upper falls) to the Ink Pots at the summit. It's a great hike with beautiful views and the Ink Pots are a great place to eat your lunch :) They are very unique.

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails