Sunday, February 15, 2009

Photo of the Week - Half-Timbered Houses (Lavenham, England)

Lavenham is a delightful old English village with a disproportionately large church and delicately balanced medieval half-timbered houses. It looks as if a strong breeze could blow these ones over, though they've probably been there for 400 or 500 years. Ironically, the leaning house was the office of the local real estate agency when I took this photo!

One of the regulars at the local bar jocularly claimed that Twinkle Twinkle Little Star was originally written in Lavenham and offered to sing it. The frowns and stark expressions around me suggested I refuse the offer and it was clear that he'd already enjoyed a few pints. Who knows if he was correct but it is something that I've never forgotten.

Other Photos of the Week
Stave Church (Norway)
Remote Sign (Iceland)
Bad Hair Day
The Asymmetric Chapel (France)

2 comments:

Martin MY said...

This brings back memeories, I have actually been there and remember these houses.

Mark H said...

@martin: Glad I could refresh your memories of this great little village.

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails