Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Drinks Around the World: Horchata (Valencia, Spain)


Valencia and eastern Spain is famous for a traditional sweet milky drink called Horchata (or orxata de xufa in the local Catalan language). Originally introduced by the Moors around 1000 years ago, the drink is so popular that horchaterias, a kind of cafe, are in several of the Valencian towns.

Made from tigernuts (the tuberous roots of a kind of grass) mixed with water and sugar, and served icy cold, it looks like a milkshake and tastes of a very sweet non-dairy milk. Too sweet for my tastes, it is surprisingly refreshing. The highlight of the drink is that it is typically accompanied by tasty finger-shaped pastries called fartons that can optionally be coated in chocolate or filled with custard.
----------
Travel Wonders highlights a characteristic drink experienced on his travels. Prior articles have featured drinks as widely varied as Vietnamese slow-drip coffee, Austrian Almdudler, African zobo, Green Mint Tea from Morocco and cherry beer (Belgium).

Photo Credit: horchata

13 comments:

Rajasthan Tours said...

hmm, the drink seems to be very refreshing

Steve said...

MMM the fartons sound tasty too!

Sherry Ott said...

When I drink it, the taste reminds me of rice pudding...yum.

Mark H said...

@rajastan tours: Fantastic on a warm Spanish day.

@Steve: The fartons are superb.

@sherry: A liquid rice pudding. Great image. I didn't get that taste but maybe they vary a little from area to area.

huren spanje said...

Sounds good.I have to travel to Spain during my vacations in month of August this year and at that time i will surely taste it.

Jorie Pacli said...

Hi Mark! I like your blog! I like all the travel stories that you share.:) I even listed you as part of my favorite travel links... If you won't mind, pls be a part of my group called TRAVEL365 so that we can check on with other travel bloggers their travel stories and vice versa... Thanks.:) See you there. If not be my friend on fb.

Mark H said...

@huren spanje: please pop back and give a review of horchata afetr you try it.

@jorie: Thank you for your kind words.

Travel Himalaya said...

Seems very yummy...

Mark H said...

@travel himalaya: Very yummy indeed. I was wondering if Nepal/North India has a similar milky drink?

Anil said...

I love this series, I keep learning about new drinks I didn't know existed!

Mark H said...

@anil: Thank you. You must have tried some unusual potions in all your travels.

Heather on her travels said...

I tried this myself when I was in valencia, but although I like most things that are sweet and milky, I can't say that I really liked it. We did enjoy the beautiful tiled interior of the Horchateria where we tried it though. http://www.heatheronhertravels.com/the-sweet-taste-of-horchata-in-valencia/

Mark H said...

@heather: You tasted it in a much more beautiful surrounding than I had it.

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails